Site homepage
Click to expand
Click to expand
Click to expand
Social Scene
Click to expand
Click to expand

Latest News | Nuacht


Sean Stinson’s U14 footballers annexed the County Féile Cup for the first time in their history at a windswept Páirc Mhic Ionnrachtaigh today, after a fine team performance against their South Antrim counterparts Michael Davitt’s.

Playing into a very stiff breeze in the first half, the Stinson lads soon found themselves under constant pressure from Davitt’s in the opening five minutes, however the Belfast side failed to IWC Replica Watches capitalise on their possession, shooting several wides, before wing-forward Thomas Shaw found the range to take the opening score for Davitt’s.

Antrim Football Féile Final - 13 May 2007
Niall Kelly had a great game at full-back against a much bigger opponent.

Some good work by Stinson’s from the kick out allowed Michael Donnelly the chance to reply immediately to level the scores a minute later, however Davitt’s kept the pressure on, and Michael Callaghan quickly replied with a point from play, followed by another from a converted free to give the Belfast side a two point lead after eight minutes.

Another rare attack from Stinson’s led to Peter Duffin picking up possession 25 metres from goal, and immediately he set off on a trademark solo run, that ended up with a spectacular finish to the net, giving the south west side the lead for the first time. Buoyed by the goal, Stinson’s continued to battle in midfield, and again managed to pick out a forward in space, this time Paul Kane added a point to extend the lead further.

Antrim Football Féile Final - 13 May 2007
Eamon Brady starts another Stinsons first half attack from the defence.

With confidence now high, Stinson’s centre forward Dermot McAleese won the ball and played a speculative shot into the strong breeze which was misjudged by Conor Martin and found it’s way to the Davitt’s net to open a five point gap between the sides.

To their credit however, Davitt’s never let their heads drop, and were keen to secure further scores before the break, and did so through a pointed free from Francis Harbinson, and another from play taken by Jude Winchester  narrowing the gap to three to end the half. Only for poor shooting from Davitt’s, combined with some outstanding goalkeeping by Ciaran Doherty in the Stinson’s net, the Belfast men could and should have been well ahead at the break, however they were now faced with a tough task to peg back the gap.

Antrim Football Féile Final - 13 May 2007
Ciaran Doherty in action again here, made several top drawer saves to keep a clean sheet in the Final.

Half-time Score: Sean Stinson’s 2-2 v 0-5 Michael Davitt’s

With wind advantage in the second half, Stinson’s were already in the driving seat, having already secured a lead playing against the elements. True to the script they came out of the blocks almost immediately, and playmaker Fionnbarr O’Neill finished a great move out of defence with a point in the first attack of the half.

Paul Kane followed up with another fine point from play a few minutes later, and as Stinson’s took control in all areas of the field, they continued to lay siege to the Davitt’s goals, and Michael Donnelly added another point to his tally to send Stinson’s six clear after 25 minutes.

A rare Davitt’s attack yielded their only score of the second half, a point taken by Michael Callaghan  his third of the day, however Stinson’s full-forward Donnelly had now started moving out into space, and twice within a minute was found with accurate passes, both converted from distance bringing his account to four.

Davitt’s at this stage realised goals were the only way back into the tie, and at every chance they tried to work the ball close enough for a shot, only to be thwarted by some stout defending  in particular from full back Niall Kelly, and keeper Doherty.

Antrim Football Féile Final - 13 May 2007
Michael Donnelly pulls the trigger for the final goal of the game.

Having soaked up enormous pressure, Stinson’s managed to regain composure and move the ball forward, allowing Paul Kane and Peter Duffin to add points  all but securing the win. Donnelly, however had the final say for Stinson’s as he won possession, and rifled the ball low to the corner of the net for his sides third goal, securing an historic Féile title for the south west side.

Final Score: Sean Stinson’s 3-9 v 0-6 Michael Davitt’s

Antrim Football Féile Final - 13 May 2007
Stinson's celebrate with the cup after the presentation.

Stinson’s greater team ethic won them the game, as every player knew what to do next and where to pass the ball. Ciaran Doherty in goals pulled off a string of top-drawer saves, and had immense protection from Niall Kelly and his corner backs Declan Findlay and Conor Graham.

The halfback line chased and harried throughout and team captain Paddy Graham led by example, flanked by Niall Delargy and Eamon Brady. The midfield battle was won by Fionnbarr O’Neill, Stinson’s chief playmaker ably assisted by Declan Doherty, to control the threat of Davitt’s main players.

The high scoring half-forward line of Peter Duffin, Dermot McAleese and Paul Kane did just as much on the defensive side of play, and were tireless workers throughout. Michael Donnelly starred in full forward, with a tally of 1-4 from play, however the hard work of John Cassidy, and then Conal Delargy, helped create space, with Emmet O’Neill operated as a third midfielder throughout with a solid display.

Stinson’s now begin preparations for the All-Ireland Féile from 29th June-1st July, taking place in the West of Ireland in counties Leitrim, Sligo and Roscommon.

Sean Stinson’s (Team & Scorers): Ciaran Doherty; Declan Findlay, Niall Kelly, Conor Graham; Niall Delargy, Paddy Graham (Capt), Eamon Brady; Fionnbarr O’Neill (0-1), Declan Doherty; Peter Duffin (1-1), Dermot McAleese (1-0), Paul Kane (0-3); Emmet O’Neill, Michael Donnelly (1-4), John Cassidy.

Subs: Conal Delargy for John Cassidy.

Davitt’s (Team & Scorers): Conor Martin; Aaron Healy, Conor Connolly, Gary Crossan; Billy McGovern, Darren Munce, James Haughey; James Lindsay Jr., Carl Winchester; Francis Harbinson (0-1, f), Jude Winchester (0-1), Thomas Shaw (0-1); Michael Callaghan (0-3, 1f), Aaron Carlin, Conal McGrandless.

Referee: Owen Quinn (Rasharkin)

back to news index
Copyright 2020 © Webmaster (St. Mary's GAC, Ahoghill) Site Developed by John Friel